Friday, January 19, 2007

I've discovered something about myself I think, as far as my motivation waxing and waning for different types of activities. I think it's seasonal. In October I was all fired up about the M.A. again, purchased and borrowed an enormous stack of books, took notes, made plans....which all sort of faded away by Christmas. Now it's January and I'm in full-on art and craft idea mode, with ideas birthing ideas all over the place, which will all sort of fade in a few months as I get tired and move onto something else (I think it's usually painting in the spring). I just finally realized that I do this little cycle over and over, every year. Odd, I think. And I don't know what to do about sustaining any of my phases really. So oh well. Move on with the project du jour.

Right now there are two sort of uber-projects, Lab555 and Project Spectrum. (My Lab555 "I want to do this!" list is below.) I think maybe with other people doing the same kind of playing and experimenting and everyone watching each other's progress maybe I'll stay motivated to do some of these things, some of which I first came up with a whole year ago during my January ideasideasideas phase. I sort of started doing stuff for Project Spectrum last year, but I think I'll officially participate this year. I have several want-to-do-soon knitting projects that happen to fall within the color range for February and March. And if I end up doing other stuff besides knitting in blue/white/gray, that will be cool too.

It's so hard for me sometimes to choose what to do, where to focus my energy. I don't feel like I can do school stuff and art stuff at the same time, and when I am focusing on only one or the other, I feel like I am ignoring an important part of who I am and what I want to be doing in this life. That pesky thing called "earning a living" just gets in the way, doesn't it?


Lab555 - The List!

1. use my stuff
2. knit from stash
3. embroidery
4. quilts - art/journal and mixed media
5. sketching/art journaling
6. the broken heart thingy
7. scan journal pages, print on fabric, design and construct skirt
8. self portrait quilt/canvas/knit thing
9. Mina's book
10. wire and beads
11. sewing
12. Project Spectrum
13. knitted books
14. nest and egg
15. start writing again
16. go thru all the accumulated books and mags and try things
17. explore various media, esp. colored pencils and watercolor crayons
18. embroidered felt matryoshka from Craft Magazine blog
19. painted dryer sheet fibers (from CPS)
20. silk fiber
21. spinning
22. knit hemp or linen curtain for back door
23. photo/image transfers
24. Tarot pages
25. stamp carving
26. knitting skills - fair isle, medium-complicated lace, garment fit and finishing
27. home stuff - living room; bedroom - colors, paint, sew curtains, duvet, etc; jungle bathroom
28. photography - build collection of my own images to use in various other art pieces
29. painting/texturing papers - new techniques
30. shrines - use collected tins and boxes
31. observance of seasons and nature thru art and journal; pay attention to spiritual aspect of art and craft
32. altering fabric for use in mixed media pieces
33. bead embroidery
34. freeform surface stitching/embroidery (learn patience w/ handstitching!)
35. frame Bill's prints and hang
36. other indie art to surround us
37. dyeing - yarn, fabric, what else?
38. do something with that hand dyed seam binding
39. Stupid Sock Creatures book
40. coptic binding
41. personal mythology
42. imagi-Nation
43. practice hand lettering
44. spirograph like those framed ones i saw
45. dressform self sculpture muse (but how to construct that big w/ wire???)
46. shibori - knitting and fabric

No comments: