Friday, January 19, 2007



These were actually done a couple of months ago. I started having inexplicable urges to knit socks back in the springtime. Prior to that I thought that socks were something I would never, ever have the desire to knit. Oh, how I've changed my mind! I'm not a rabid sock knitter (yet anyway) but now that I have these and one other pair done I find that having cozy, perfectly made for me socks to wear at home when it's chilly to be one of those simple luxuries that just makes me happy, and is so easy to provide. That tile floor you see is what we have throughout most of the house - it gets cold!

Pattern: Rib and Cable Socks, Nancy Bush, Interweave Knits Fall 2005
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, Gray's Corner
Needles: KA White Bamboo dpns, size US1
Modifications: I only did 1.5 inches before starting the cables, rather than 3 inches

They are far from perfect, but I love them. You can see the toe is a little funky. It's one of the ones Bush explains in Knitting Vintage Socks. I don't remember what it is called - four point star or something maybe? But it's not a smooth grafted toe. These being my first socks, I didn't want to swap out heels or toes. I'm using the leftover yarn to make a pair for the baby girl (with solid color heels and toes) and I'll probably do a different toe for hers.

No comments: