Wednesday, September 12, 2007

even grouchy princesses need hats



This is kind of how the last couple of days have been. We got caught up on a couple of Mina's vaccinations yesterday, so she's been tired, feverish and fussy. The princess dress helps. So does chocolate. And new hats.



This is the best photo I could get. The hat was off her head and onto the floor milliseconds after the shutter clicked. Her daddy tells me that she kept it on during an entire trip to the grocery store on Sunday morning, but I was allowed to sleep in that day for the first time since before she was born (really!) and I missed it. Anyway, the hat is the Basic Cable Hat from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, with some minor alterations to make it a little smaller. The girlie has kind of a big head though, so it fits me too. I used most of a skein of Noro Kureyon that was left from a hat I made for J over two years ago. (The big head gene comes from him - I always count on a little more than one ball to make him a hat.) It went really quickly - just a few days of knitting on it here and there when I had a chance. J's hat has softened up considerably after a few washings, so I'm not worried about this being too itchy for her. (Oh, speaking of washings - J machine washed and dried another hat made of Tahki Donegal Tweed. I about had a heart attack until he handed it to me afterwards. The yarn bloomed into a soft, fuzzy, squishy fabric - it didn't felt. I was amazed - his treatment definitely improved it!)

Of course since I finished a project I had to cast on another one. I had a frog-fest a few weeks ago and cleared out a sock and two stoles, so the works-in-progress number was lagging! I finally started J's Dashings:



I know the yarn is the same color as the original. I don't care. It's not the same yarn though, it's Tahki New Tweed, which is considerably softer and next-to-skin friendlier than the Donegal Tweed. It's a wool, silk, and viscose blend, and I'd love to have a whole sweater made of it. I'm using size US 5 Crystal Palace dpns and getting a nice, stretchy, cushy fabric. I did this much of it last night, so it shouldn't take long at all to have the pair finished. Then I think I'll start J's hat and use the same cable patterning on it. At this rate, both will be done by our anniversary in a few weeks! (If the girlie lets me knit, that is.)



(Can anyone tell me why my pictures are rendering so crappily? I don't remember having this problem before. I'm grabbing them from Flickr and they look totally fine there.)

3 comments:

PinkPorcupine said...

Aww!!! She's so cute! I hope she feels better!
The Dashings look great - I may have to make MathMan a pair (though they do look GINORMOUS on your arm!)
As far as your pictures go, it's just the resizing that makes them look speckle-y. They looked fine in Bloglines.

Trina said...

Your knitting is just amazing. You knit so incredibly fast. I can't believe the rate at which you're able to finish things. Impressive.

j.heineman said...

like p.porcupine said, your photos are being constrained by a browser for your blog. in flickr, the photo is saved at several sizes... whereas here it's being shrunk from a larger file size & the quality suffers. either save another correctly-sized version or try linking to the small file size on flickr directly. & that's all i got. hope you're well.