Monday, January 28, 2008

Sweater love


wicked - finished!
Originally uploaded by everydayautumn.

Here she is finally, my first completed adult-size sweater. I had some time on Saturday to play with the timer on my camera, which turned out to be easier than I expected although this was the only decent photo I captured. I don't have a tripod, so I had to put the camera on a shelf on one side of the room and then dash over to the other side and wait for the click. I had a slight look of panic on my face in this one, which I cropped out - no need to show that!

I absolutely loved working with this yarn - Dream in Color's worsted weight superwash merino. It's so round and soft and squishy, and the subtle color variegation is pretty without being distracting. I didn't bother alternating skeins and had no trouble with pooling or streaking. I used just under three 250-yard skeins for this project.

The pattern, of course, is Wicked by Zephyrstyle. It was straightforward and easy to follow, and the fit is perfect. I made the smallest size and customized the shaping to fit me, which was simple to do since I could try the sweater on at any point to make sure I was on track. I originally made it too short and ended up having to unpick the bind off, rip back the border, and add length. I hadn't done the pocket at first, so that was no problem. I decided to add the pocket when I re-knit because the sweater seemed too bland without it. I went with 3/4 sleeves because they seemed to fit with the sweater's style, and I thought that worsted weight 100% wool would be too warm indoors with long sleeves. It just figures that the last couple of weeks have been colder than usual here and I was too cold in the house while wearing this on Saturday.

Even so, I think the sweater is wearable even if it is slightly more casual than I usually dress. Sure, I wear jeans all the time, but I dress them up a little. I don't even own a pair of sneakers or any shoes more casual than black ballet flats.

Which reminds me. We're expecting snow today and tomorrow and I don't have any appropriate footwear. I haven't been able to find a pair of boots that fits my specifications and budget, so everything I wear goes with either ballet flats or high-heeled maryjanes. I tried to find a pair of rain boots this weekend (black, please) but only found kids' and men's sizes. I do hope campus shuts down if we actually get snow tonight...

1 comment:

LizKnits said...

congrats on the sweater... there's nothing like finishing that first one!