Friday, March 28, 2008

it's always a good day for a new scarf



At least one immediate good thing came out of digging through all those old, unfinished projects: this one was actually finished! Two little ends to weave in and a good blocking, and I have a new scarf. I think I made this in August or September of 2005, intending to add beads to the ends and give it as a thank you gift. That occasion is long past, however, so I decided to wear it myself.

This is a basic razor shell lace pattern similar to the one found here. I found the pattern I originally used via Craftster. It was from another blog that seems to have disappeared, and was based on a pattern originally published in Marie-Claire Idées. (I have a nearly photographic memory, in case you are wondering how I know this two and a half years later.) I did only three repeats of the lace pattern and used two balls of Noro Silk Garden on size 7 needles - my favorite pair of Brittany straights, which is why I remember. I knitted the scarf in two pieces and joined it with a three needle bind off at the middle. I made another one of these that same month for my mother-in-law's birthday, and I grafted that one, which didn't turn out so well. Kitchener stitch and I do not get along. I've been wearing this scarf all day today, and the bind off hasn't been bothersome in the least.



I remember buying some teardrop-shaped mother-of-pearl beads to attach to the scarf's points, but I have no idea where those are. I think they would bother me anyway. I'm very happy with this scarf just as it is, and especially today. We've had completely unseasonal snow flurries all day today. I know in some places snow in March is fairly normal, but for us this is just so strange. I live at sea level, less than half a mile from the water's edge, in the Pacific Northwest. The daffodils have been in full bloom for two weeks, the plum trees are done, the cherry trees are blooming - it is spring! It's so unnerving to look out the window and see the air full of heavy white flakes. I wish I'd taken a picture, but Sam caught a photo of the action down south. Crazy, I tell you. At least I've got a new scarf to keep me warm.

3 comments:

ysolda said...

Pretty :)

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with the encyclopedic knowledge of knitting online - I knew exactly where the scarf was from and found it slightly odd that you had to write: (I have a nearly photographic memory, in case you are wondering how I know this two and a half years later.)

I guess that applies to me too then!

marycatharine said...

That's so pretty, I think I'll have to buy some silk garden for myself. It snowed yesterday up here but at least everything melted as soon as it hit the ground.

teabird said...

So pretty! I'm doing a razor lace scarf right now in a fingering (sock) yarn - it's one of those patterns that looks good with any yarn, and you can make it look different just by increasing or decreasing the knits before the decrease.
Yours looks elegant...