Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

Actually, I forgot that today was Earth Day until I got on the bus this morning and saw that it was a Free Ride day. Then I had to think for a minute to come up with a reason why the bus would be free on a random Tuesday...oh yeah, public transit, Earth Day...makes sense. Ok! Earth Day is one of those dates, like the solstices and equinoxes, that I want to celebrate but it just sneaks up on me. I do my best to live responsibly every day, but Earth Day is still a good reminder to take some time to think about what I could be doing better, and to celebrate Earth's beauty.

Today, I'll celebrate by showing you my finished Global Warming sweater.



Global Warming, by Suvi S.
Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Superwash, Emerald City
Cast on April 4, 2008
Finished April 18, 2008


My only modifications were to add a couple of short rows to the back neck and not adding the pocket. I knit it, but I haven't blocked it or sewn in on. I can always put it on later if I want it. Oh, I almost forgot the other modification! When the sweater was first finished, I decided it was way too short. This didn't surprise me much, and I knew just what to do:



Yep, scissors. I turned my sweater "upside down" so the cast on edge (the bottom hem) was at the top, and inserted my circular needle through the right leg of each stitch on the round before the ribbing. Then just a little snip snip, and the ribbing came right off, leaving live stitches on the needle ready to go. I knit "downwards" for two or three inches before knitting new ribbing and binding off. It worked perfectly, and the site of the surgery is completely invisible. I had read differing comments on Ravelry explaining that it would work this way and be imperceptible, and conversely that it would be half a stitch off leaving a noticeable line where the direction changed. I consulted Knit Fix, which also told me that the direction change would show. I didn't believe it. Really, if you turn your knitting this way and that and really look at it, it is fairly obvious. And, I can now verify firsthand that at least for stockinette in the round, this fix is completely invisible. I can't tell at all where the direction changes. I know this wouldn't be true for ribbing or other pattern stitches, but luckily I didn't have to worry about that.



I really love the puffed sleeves on this sweater. I like my clothes fairly simple, but with little details that make them slightly out of the ordinary. This sleeve is a perfect touch. I finished knitting the sweater on Thursday night, but it was midnight already so I saved the binding off and finishing (of which there is very little) for the following evening. The only seams on Global Warming are at the underarms where you are seaming two bound off edges together. Lucky me - that kind of seam is the only one I like to do. Maybe it's weird, but I really love watching those raw edges magically fuse together and disappear.

A few words about the yarn: it's a very sturdy and rustic-feeling wool, and I have hard time believing it to be superwash. I'm not going to take any chances with it - it's so fuzzy and grabby that it feels like it would easily felt. I was also surprised that it is 100% wool. It has the same sort of fuzzy haze that regular Lamb's Pride, with its mohair content, displays. The superwash is a loose three ply and slightly lighter weight than regular Lamb's Pride. It is also splitty and itchy. Sounds like no fun, right? I actually didn't mind it. Really, I'd say I enjoyed knitting with it. I can't capture the subtlety of the color with my basic camera, but the deep emerald is actually a heather, so if you look closely you can see strands of sapphire blue and daffodil yellow, and occasionally tiny flecks of red violet. It's the kind of green that would really pop if you held a bouquet of daffodils next to it. I daydream about finding bright yellow tights to wear with it, which reminds me of Women in Love, even though I haven't read that book in ten years. Anyway, besides the beautiful color, the yarn is comfortably wearable after a good soak with some hair conditioner (and now it smells like mint and tea tree). It isn't next-to-skin-soft by any means, but is just fine over a light tee shirt. I wore my sweater all day on Sunday, both out and about and relaxing at home, and liked it more and more as the day went on.

So, a successful sweater on all counts. Thank you, Suvi, for sharing your pattern!

6 comments:

villapeikko said...

It's beautiful! I love the color too! :)

Michael said...

Ooh, cutest sleeves ever!

Sam said...

love the sleeves! Way to stick it out until you got the sweater you wanted.

Josie said...

Beautiful little sweater! I love the "spade" shape made by the shaping on the sleeves.

Priscilla said...

Excellent job! You did great.

Lolly said...

After I saw your lovely version, it went right into my queue! it looks great on you. I am with you on the small details - that puffed sleeve looks great! beautiful yarn too!