Wednesday, June 25, 2008

goodness, of the yarn and food varieties

Finishing my camisole on Sunday relieved some of the pressure I was feeling when looking at the WIP pile. (Why do I let knitting get stressful? That's so silly.) But, it also gave me some kind of strange cami fever, and I've been hunting out new patterns. I have two balls of SWTC Bamboo that want to be something other than the Lotus Camisole I bought them for a couple of years ago. The pattern I most want to make right now, though, needs about 100 yards more than I have. Always a knitting dilemma of some kind.

I have worked on each of the remaining WIPs, but I'm feeling the lure of new projects, too. This, especially, is calling my name.


A single skein of lovely handspun BFL from Spincycle Yarns, fresh from my local farmer's market. I could only buy one skein, and it's so lovely and soft I'm thinking it needs to be a cowl or neckwarmer of some kind. It's worsted weight, 120 yards, and I sort of want a button and maybe a little ruffle. Ideas?

The other green stuff in the photo is a bunch of garlic scapes. I only learned about scapes recently, and when I spotted them at the market on Saturday I grabbed one of the few available bunches. I knew there was a recipe in my favorite cookbook, I just couldn't remember what it was. Turns out it was Garlic Scape Soup, and it was delicious. It's basically vichyssoise, but with scapes and spinach rather than leeks. Garlic scapes have a definite garlic aroma and flavor, but in a green way, if that makes sense. If there are more at the market this week, I'm going to try the pesto in the blog I linked above.

I also made these chocolate-chocolate chip banana muffins on Saturday - so good! (Although my family is obviously crazy and won't eat them.) The only changes I made were to use whole wheat pastry flour instead of refined white flour, and egg replacer because I was out of eggs. I also had to add a tablespoon or two of milk to get it all to mix - I guess my bananas were on the small side. These came out moist and so chocolatey, but sank rather dramatically in the centers.

Then on Sunday, Mina and I made pancakes, of course. Have I mentioned the pancake obsession? Mina loves them. Really, really loves them. Rather than making the same boring pancakes over and over, or refusing to make them at all, I've taken it as a challenge and opportunity to make the most interesting and nutritious pancakes possible. Mina is happy that she gets pancakes, and I'm happy knowing that I'm filling her up with a variety of whole grains, fruits, and even vegetables. I think up new recipes all the time. This one turned out so good, I'll share. It's not quite as nutrition-packed as some, but it makes a big batch of fluffy, delicious pancakes.

Cinnamon Graham Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup graham flour (or coarsely ground whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon, or more to taste
1/2 tsp salt

3 Tbsp melted butter
3 eggs, or equivalent egg replacer
2 cups dairy or soy milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until well mixed. (Mina usually does this part!) Make sure the brown sugar gets broken up well. In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs or replacer until foamy. I used egg replacer, and these pancakes came out lighter and fluffier than I typically get when I use real eggs. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the eggs and whisk until just blended - don't let all the little bubbles pop! Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until combined. Not too much. Cook over medium heat on a non-stick griddle, or by your usual pancake cooking method. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Billy loves breakfast food too. It's one of the few things I can count on her to finish. She will totally love the pancakes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.