Wednesday, June 04, 2008

in progress

It looks like I am in a long term "in progress" phase, with a lot of projects going on but not much being completed. Project Spectrum moved into the third phase over the weekend, the element Air and the colors white, gray, and yellow. I'm still firmly rooted in Earth, however, with several projects still on the needles and a design idea that won't leave me alone.



I'm almost finished with a cowl, which I will share once blocking is completed and I can write up a quick pattern. It's a very simple lace pattern that I have used before, but it's hard to see in this photo. I'm using a skein of Colinette Jitterbug held doubled, and the resulting fabric is super squishy and textural. I think it will be lovely to wear, and I'll likely have the opportunity to use it still this spring. Our weather has been rainy and about 50F (10C I believe), and the forecast shows no variance for the next 10 days. We had 36 straight hours of full on rain yesterday and today. Talk about blah.

The other thing you see in the photo above is what I think of as my "working journal," opened to a sketched diagram for a cable and lace scarf. I think it is a scarf anyway. It might be a stole. This idea won't leave me alone, so I guess that means I need to see it through. I sketched this out in the car on the way to Seattle last weekend, after thinking about it for a few days but before I had chosen any stitch patterns. It will end up looking a bit different. I now have several lace patterns and the perfect cable chosen, so I just need to start swatching and see how they all fit together. It will be called A Forest to go with the song, one of my favorites, which makes me think that maybe a lot of other songs want to become designs, too.

I've also been reading a lot lately, and evidently buying too many books, based on the size of the piles when I stacked them up for a picture.



These are the recent additions. Fortunately for my budget, most of them came from the used bookstore in perfect, like-new condition but significantly cheaper. Mina and I have been reading The Creative Family together - she loves the photos and asks to see her favorites (candles and water) over and over, in between sniffs of its new book smell. (I smell books too. I think it's in our DNA.) The bottom four books were in my amazon wish list forever, and finding them in new condition for half price? Yeah, I snapped them up. Not all at once. This stack represents three different days. There is another stack.



These are somewhat older acquisitions, but are all the ones that I consider "in progress" right now, along with the top two from the previous photo. So that's nine books that I am currently reading. This is why, when my brother-in-law asked me what I was reading, my answer was something like "well, um...let's see. I just finished Stardust, and...." Oh no. I just realized I forgot to add a book to the pile. I'm reading Middlemarch, too. You see, my reading habits and knitting habits have a bit in common. A little of this, a little of that. I think I'll read/knit this today, and something else tomorrow. That's why it takes so long to finish anything.

Another little tidbit and then I need to get the cat to quit hissing at that raccoon through the front door. I realized today that it was my Raviversary!



You'll probably have to click through to Flickr and look at that in a larger size if you want to actually read it, but anyway. I excitedly got on Ravelry one year ago today! I can't believe it's been that long, but I can't imagine life without it now, either.

Speaking of web apps - I am looking for a way to add a Currently Reading widget to my sidebar. Blogger doesn't have that kind of thing, unfortunately. So far the best thing I've found is to use Goodreads, since LibraryThing, which I am already on, doesn't have this function. Does anyone use Goodreads or have other recommendations? I'd like opinions.

1 comment:

marycatharine said...

Stacks of books are the best thing in the world, very comforting and Mina's smart they do smell great. I can't wait to see your finished cowl it looks like it will be cozy and pretty.