Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Summer days just fly by, don't they? We've finally had warm weather here, so much time has been spent relaxing on the back porch, taking walks, and trying to keep the house cool. We're fortunate to almost always have a cool breeze blowing in off the bay, so aside from high humidity and allergies that come along with it, I don't mind summer heat one bit.

My camisole obsession hasn't abated. I wanted another cool fiber to knit when my hands are hot and another cute summer top to wear. I've had two balls of SWTC Bamboo in my stash for a couple of years, originally purchased for the Lotus Camisole from Spring 2006 Interweave Knits. I couldn't get gauge for that project and decided I didn't like the shoulders so much after all, so the yarn sat and sat. Just this weekend I realized that it should work for the Silk Camisole pattern in Last Minute Knitted Gifts, a book I've had for even longer than the yarn. Both of them just sitting there for years, and I never put two and two together.


This is the old version of SWTC Bamboo, the chain construction, slightly scratchy kind. I like how it's knitting up though, and I think once blocked it will show the vine lace at the hem beautifully. The color is a bit warmer, more plum, than it appears on this monitor (funny, because it looked accurate on my laptop). It is actually a near-perfect match for this:


This is the wonderful swap package I received yesterday in the Veg*n Summer Swap, through the Veg*n Craft*n group on Ravelry. My swap pal Celeste/anotherveganknit did an awesome job of putting together a package that is just perfect for me! There was some confusion and Celeste thought she was supposed to send to someone else. I was worried because no secret pal had contacted me. It all got straightened out at the end though, and my pal couldn't have done a better job, even if we had been emailing back and forth all month. The yarn is Hemp for Knitting Allhemp6, something I've been wanting to try for a long time, and the color is one of my favorites, almost exactly the same as the bamboo I'm knitting with right now. The cute zipper bag says "veggies are dope" and has a Cowhugger Clothing Company button attached. The pewter peacock is a necklace on a long chain (I'm wearing it today!), and the book is a blank journal with a tea leaf reading theme. There's also a canister of mango ginger iced tea, the kind in silk pouches. Yum. Thank you so much, Celeste!

Other than slow knitting on my bamboo camisole and time in the sun, I've been spending way too much time on Plurk. It's fun and addictive - I love keeping up with what my knitting pals are doing all day and participating in the conversations that are always going on. I don't have a real life stitch and bitch, or even a group of friends in my town, so this is the next best thing. I'll be back later today (hopefully) with my farmgirl introduction post for the Plurkette Hencircle, one of the best things that's happened through Plurk (or anywhere else) so far. Go visit the link if you want to know what the heck I'm talking about - it's pretty cool. And if you want to look me up on Plurk, please do! My username is the same as my blog and Ravelry name. I'd love to chat.

No comments: