Tuesday, July 08, 2008

summertime

The long, slow summer days are here, which for me means more time spent doing summer things and a bit of a slowdown with crafting and blogging. Here's a little bit of what I've been up to, presented in fragments since that's how my mind works right now.

My first overnight trip without Mina - first time away from her at all other than to go to work. It was surprisingly easy for both of us.

My sister's 30th birthday bash (hence the overnight away) - I stayed up way too late and had way too much hefeweizen. The next morning, staggering down the street toward coffee, I saw one of the Ride the Duck vehicles, empty of tourists, go careening at high speed around a corner, driven by a guy in a pirate hat, sunglasses and crazy grin, blasting "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" at maximum volume. I just stood there and stared, open-mouthed. Wow.

Trips to the farmer's market and lots of fresh veggies. Also, this week, handmade soap!

Summer food, which for me means lots of fruit and vegetables, yogurt, bread, sun tea, and nothing too heavy. Lots of Mediterranean-style food, and mostly vegan meals. There were garlic scapes at the market again this weekend. Last night's dinner was sauteed scapes, yellow zucchini, tomato, and peas with white beans. Perfect.

I've been embroidering. I can't show one project yet because the recipient would most likely see it here. The other project I'll show as soon as there is something to see. Hint - it has to do with the soap up above.

Slow knitting on the stockinette body of my bamboo camisole, while staying up way too late watching episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer online, a show I missed entirely when it was actually on TV. I rate it fairly high on the amusement scale now, though.

Reading The Living, by Annie Dillard, a book I've been meaning to read for many years, since it's a historical novel about the beginning of the white settlements that became the city I live in. Reading the descriptions of the land in this book, I can place where the characters must be standing and know what it looks like to see what they are seeing when they look out over the water toward the San Juans and the Olympic Mountains, or over the land toward Mount Baker. I try to imagine what it was like when my neighborhood was thick with 17-foot diameter douglas fir trees, so close together you had to turn sideways to walk between them.

Trips to local parks with Mina - exploring the mud flats at low tide, watching kids playing in the spray park or on the slides. Mina is too timid to join them. She is tall for her age, as big as the four-year-olds, but at two and a half isn't ready to run through the water or brave the slide like they do. I got concerned on Sunday when other girls, not realizing Mina was younger, made fun of her for being scared. She does enjoy her "splash pool" though, and sat through her first movie in a theater with her Dada yesterday.

Late nights and early mornings - the days are so long! The light creeps through the blinds around 4:30 a.m. and doesn't fade until after 10:30 p.m. I always forget how far north I live. Until reading The Living, where this is mentioned, I didn't realize that we are farther north than Nova Scotia and most of Ontario, which is counterintuitive, since the border with British Columbia is north of here, though not by much.

Hopefully there will be something craft-related to share in a few days. Until then, I'll keep moving slowly and enjoying the season.

1 comment:

marycatharine said...

What is it about summer that makes a person want more and more vegetables and less meat?

I used to live in southern Ontario and always find it funny when people in the US or Canada say that Toronto is north. Lots of the US is way further north of that part of Canada - and colder during the winter.