Thursday, September 18, 2008

this and that

Adjusting to changes in routine and a busier schedule in general has been keeping me from the blog for longer than I intended. I can't guarantee that this will get better very soon, but I am still here. Still knitting, reading, visiting the farmer's market on Saturdays, cooking and baking, and very much enjoying the early autumn. This is, by far, my most favorite time of the year. I don't even know how to explain how much joy a single red leaf brings me. And that particular sharpness and slant to the sunlight! I think I love it even more because I know how quickly it passes. By November we'll be into our long, gray and rainy season, so this special six weeks must be fully savored while it lasts.



Look what I found at the farmer's market last weekend! A precious half-pint of wild huckleberries, hand gathered and carefully washed and packaged. I grew up picking huckleberries in the mountains of Idaho, something I get to do so rarely now that seeing these made me so happy and excited. We used half of them for huckleberry pancakes. The rest need to be eaten tonight. With such a tiny amount I'm not sure what to do with them. Maybe just enjoy them all on their own. (No, they are not blueberries and do not taste like blueberries. They're impossible to explain.)



Look what else - a finished pair of socks! I knit the first sock last winter and finally finished the pair a few days ago. They are just plain toe up socks. I use the general directions written by Ann Budd in the Summer 2007 Interweave Knits, with an Eastern cast on, short row heel, and sewn bind off (except I use a knit front and back (kfb) increase for the toe instead of m1 just because it's easier for me and I think it looks fine). The yarn is Socks that Rock Lightweight in Carbon or Carbon Dating (label says one thing, website says the other). This is almost the last of my variegated sock yarn, thank goodness. It always looks pretty in the skein, but I've discovered that I dislike the finished product. Semi-solids for me, thanks. The minor pooling that went on in this pair is enough to drive me batty.



And finally, look at this. This is what happens when a nearly-three-year-old is left unattended with a box of Crayolas. I got home from work the other day to find my laptop had been newly decorated with cerulean lightning. Mina was stealthy, apparently - Jamie didn't even notice she had done it. Fortunately baby oil and q-tips cleaned it right off, and left my computer smelling oddly powder-fresh.

I am very close to completing the knitting on my Cowl Pullover, and I still need to do minor surgery to correct Snow White's length. New sweaters coming soon!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Glad to know you've been enjoying the Autumnal loveliness! I've been thinking about you and your "Everyday Autumn" concept while enjoying the pretty light myself, and marveling how new projects always spring out of the woodwork at this time of year...from relative stagnation I find myself catapulted into extreme productivity. It feels good! Anyway, happy fall.

Sam said...

Fall is my favorite as well. I think it has a lot to do with the food (stew, roast, chili, soups, etc), the holidays, and not feeling guilty for staying inside by the fire knitting.

LizKnits said...

That computer is very artsy actually. =] Huckleberries.. my MIL was talking about them the other day. I need to try them sometime.